Sunday, October 05, 2008

T-Shirt Test

It's hard to explain why I'm nervous to go out into town today with my Obama t-shirt on.

I think it's because we live in a mostly military town. I admire and respect veterans. I'm married to a veteran, after all.

If I was in Champaign-Urbana, I would rock this shirt with NO problem. But I'm nervous here. I'm nervous to offend people. They are proud of their service and I AM SO PROUD OF THEIR SERVICE and THEIR FAMILIES' SACRIFICE(S). The son of one of my best friends served in Iraq and we are soooooo proud of him. And so thankful he came home safely. I know he's proud of the job he did and would serve again and again.

I love my country. I love my daughter. I love the soldiers!!! And THAT'S why I wear this t-shirt and vote the way I do.

1 comment:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'm pretty open about being a soldier's Mom, and I do take occasional hits for it. Sometimes it's anti-war people, sometimes it's just someone saying something insensitive that I don't want to hear.

At the same time, I'm definitely voting for Obama, and still shy away from annoucning that in a public, anonymous forum (t-shirts, bumper stickers, signs in my yard.) It's mostly because I'd be offended if anyone challenged me on it, and don't want to invite that.

Can hardly wait to see if you're "challenged" in town today!