Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Oil $hit Storm

Ok, so this is cat blog and I don't normally rant about things. I leave that to my husband at me-first.blogspot.com.

BUT, there are exceptions....

“The storm shut down oil and natural gas operations in the Gulf of Mexico, representing about 8 percent of U.S. refining capacity or about 1 million barrels, further driving up gasoline prices.”

8% of the U.S. refining capacity and the WORLD's oil market is going crazy. We are going to have an increase in gas prices of at least 50 cents here. Not to mention the fact that the gas we are paying for at this very moment was refined who-knows-when and they are hiking the prices up right now in a panic.

I have received e-mails calling for the boycott of ExxonMobil (my husband mentioned on his blog last week that their income was up 38% from this time last year). So that is understandable in a way - but how can we choose just one oil company??? Aren't they all making a huge profit? Do I really need to see actual numbers to believe that??

I have received e-mails saying that we shouldn't buy gas on September 1st. I'm not sure how this would make a huge difference - maybe someone has run the numbers to conclude that this scheme will make someone important notice. What about the people like me who only buy gas once a week? Do I factor into their numbers??

Obviously, my little rant doesn't change anything. What can we do? We have to buy gas - end of story.

And to end with what I should have started this blog with. How can I (or anyone) bitch for one moment about the ever-increasing gas prices when there are thousands of people who may have lost their life, their loved ones, their pets, their house, their car, their job..........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Momo--

The petrochemical industry can and will charge whatever it wants for gas, and make as much money as they want, as long as we keep driving big cars everywhere all the time. To expect anything else is naive at best.

Consumers must change the market landscape. We have the power.

Mikey

Anonymous said...

Hey, here's an idea! Duh! How bout just slowing down on the driving. You use less gas that way. To boycott is not effective when everyone will fill up the day before or after. Still buying the same amount of gas. Slowing down just 5mph (or more) permently will impact good in several ways.

The impact needs to be felt on the long term to make a difference. Not just one day. So, quit speeding! You'll save money on gas and tickets and insurance and may prevent accidents too!

Oil companies have us by the you know whats.I really do think my idea is a good one!!!!

A thought from:
The Mom

ilaiy said...

I was thinking I would walk for a couple of miles each day ...

./thanks
ilaiy

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Oil companies and hurricanes and wars in Iraq; ya do kind of feel helpless on several accounts sometime, don't you?

I'm a sworn self-admitted political ignoramous, mostly due to having too much on my plate to stop and pay attention (hey! Gelati's important!) but I can see it's time to start tuning in.

Everyone feels that one person can't make a difference, but one and one and one....