Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Free House to a Good Home

Note to our bloggerfriend, ChuckieEverDapper, who has been looking for a house - if your other house falls through: I have just the one for you. It's a nice, nearly 100 year old house, close to 2000 sq. ft., that gets an annual visit from oh, say - - one or two bats.

We awoke at 5:00 this morning...wait - I woke up hearing the familiar squeaking/screeching sound of a bat and the cats going apeshit over it. "Oh, no! Oh, no!" My husband stirred and asked what was going on...All I said then was: "Bat! Bat!" and rushed out into the hallway...

where the kitties and the bat were waiting. The kitties were extremely interested in the friggin' thing - especially Ally, our youngest kitty who may not have had the experience of stalking a bat before.

All in all - we handled this one pretty calmly. I put all the kitties in the bedroom and then realized I kinda needed to pee - so that's what I did while Mike planned his attack and suggested that I should probably shut the door. He was going to stir up the bat - he didn't like where it had landed. It's placement wasn't very conducive to trapping. I thought I was brave enough to go out and see what was going on but I really wasn't. Nah - I'd just peek through the door every once in a while and I swear the bat would then try to get in the bathroom with me. I don't think I'm a wimp - I used to catch mice "with my bare hands" in Texas but bats, for whatever reason, scrare the crap outta me.

Anyway, we get the thing trapped in a shoebox and we tape it up in there. It is at that point I realize: I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE OF IT! The blog-a-holic that I am. Reading all of my favorite blogs everyday - constantly thinking when things happen: "Oh, that would be a great blog subject." (Even if I don't get around to blogging on my sites too often.) BUT, I had promised myself if I ever had another bat in the house that I would photograph it and blog it!!!

Here's all the photographic evidence I have to present to you:





In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas that are better than paying the Animal-Creature- Capture-Guy $2,400 to batproof our house and/or "caulking all of the kumquat sized holes" in my house (exact words from the Animal Control lady that I spoke with today. Who really was a lovely person and I'm so thankful for her advice and I think we'll definitely try to heed it. I just love saying that: "caulk the kumquat")....just let us know.

4 comments:

Twisted DNA said...

A picture of the bat would've been very intersting... but then, they don't pose that easily for photographs I guess :)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

You REALLY should have re-opened the box for bat photos!

The Portly Gentleman in Aisle 5 said...

I'll give you fifty bucks for the house and $80,000 for the bat.

Momo said...

Twisted DNA & GNG: I really wish I had gotten a pic for posterity. I'll know better next time!

Chuck: Let's talk. Have your agent call my agent. If you wanna buy a bathouse - we're selling.