Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas

Christmas. Christmas is coming this weekend. My tree is still in the same shape it was last time I blogged about it. Well, I take that back - it's probably a little more bent and ugly than it was before and still has a cat in it every night but still no Christmas lights or decorations. Makes me feel weird. Makes me have to admit how lazy I am. After asking my husband almost every night: "Are we going to decorate the tree?" And he'd reply: "How will we keep the friggin' cat away?" (OK, not his exact words, probably mine.) Yeah, can you imagine how much yelling and water spraying and unhappiness we'd go through trying to keep that cat off the tree? And, to top it off, visions of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation are dancing in my head of "fried pussycat". Afraid one of my own will bite through the cords. A friend of mine says she had a bunny that did just that and survived...

I've kept this debate going in my head and with my husband and with my friends and now - it seems too late. I'm lazy. Do I want to decorate the tree just to tear it down in less than a week?

And I haven't watched my special Christmas shows. I've recorded some on my TiVo thingy and some of the others I own. I'm a little kid. I own the classic Christmas shows and Disney movies (even though my husband tells me Disney is evil and corporate and something-or-other but, somehow, if a Disney movie is on my wish list - it ends up being mine.)

I haven't listened to my Christmas music either (which we usually listen to as we decorate our house and the tree).

So, I haven't done a lot of my Christmassy things and it doesn't feel a lot like Christmas so far. But, I've been thinking about it. I can't wait for Christmas this year. I'm really looking forward to seeing my family and continuing our traditions 'cause my mother always made sure we had the best Christmas we could have. And I'm excited that I'll get to enjoy some time with my friends and start some new traditions and, damnit, I'm sappy, but I just can't wait for Christmas. I'll try to stay off the sauce and not go around singing and petting people.

2 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

You're so lazy, as opposed to me, who brought my plug-in tree into the house, tossed the box of ornaments at a "guest," and made him decorate while the rest of us watched some weird World's Most Expensive Gifts show.

Bring on the sauce, your last line cracked me up.

Everyone's in the dark, on Marcy-oke night! "Pet, pet, pet." Don't forget you chased Atef into the corner behind the table. I can't stop laughing.

Sauce = fun!

shy_smiley said...

When we had the trio that included Cleo we rarely attempted a tree. With our current duo, Moxie and Kismet, we can put up the tree, we just can't put any gifts adorned with curling ribbon underneath it. Those girls love to eat ribbon (and rubber bands)! That's always a treat to find in the litterbox.

Christmas isn't about the tree, though the tree can augment the spirit. Just do what you do and enjoy the fun!