Friday, June 20, 2008

Father Day

Father's Day was almost a week ago...but we've been a little busy here and time has gotten away from me. Mike had an appendectomy on Tuesday and had been ill for several days before that.

We did go to lunch on Father's Day and saw this sign:




I found it funny and fitting because it seems like something I would say anyway since I have my own language sometimes and love saying quirky things. (I'm also loving the "Draff" beer...and I will forever call it that, too.)

I'm awake and it's late and I'm thinking of him in the hospital and hoping he comes home tomorrow and that everything is OK because:

If there ever was a man born to be a father, it is my husband. And Matilda is the luckiest little girl in the world to have him as her father. Anyone who knows him would absolutely agree.

When I was younger, I thought of the future often. Of someday having children and worrying that I would be jealous. Because I do love being the center of attention and I knew I wouldn't want to lose that place...even so, I was also pretty sure that someday my feelings would probably become moot when a new "star" was born.

It, of course, has happened. Maybe long before now and without my noticing. But I clearly saw it last night.

We were walking the halls of the hospital as a family. Mike moving gingerly and Matilda holding my finger while wobbling along. And I saw Mike's face as he looked at her - - it took my breath away and I have filed it as a favorite memory. He was more than enthralled - - beaming and proud. She brings him such joy and I love to see him happy. We absorb her movements and milestones in awe and she is the best thing that we have done. The pleasure she brings us is in evident in our faces...and no face is more photogenic and expressive than his.

I love looking at them.











































1 comment:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

This post made me all teary and verklempt. Knowing both of you, and Matilda, I witness the love you have for her, even a million miles away...in your voices, your photos, your stories and laughter. I want to burst too!